On this page
- eCommerce program overview
- The Rising Tide of Southeast Asian eCommerce
- SEA eCommerce Infographic
- Webinar: eCommerce in Vietnam
- Contact us
As part of the Victorian Government’s $15.7 million Export Recovery Package, the eCommerce Program will help Victorian businesses increase their export potential by engaging an eCommerce platform within a designated international market and through other eCommerce channels.
The program aims to increase the profile and sales of Victorian products through key eCommerce channels. Businesses who have signed up to the program can access a combination of the following to help them engage with international markets:
- Promotional activities on an eCommerce platform to generate increased demand for products
- Market and sector insights from industry delivered through Global Victoria's Victorian eCommerce Network (VeN)
- Digital content creation
- Virtual presenting and pitch training
- Training on eCommerce platformsThe target markets
The key markets targeted for Global Victoria's eCommerce initiatives include Southeast Asia, India, China, Japan and South Korea, with product categories including cosmetics, beauty, nutraceuticals, food and beverage.
The Rising Tide of Southeast Asian eCommerce
Southeast Asia (SEA) eComerce is booming.
The COVID-19 pandemic has brought about a permanent digital adoption surge in SEA, and according to the 2020 report by Google, Temasek and Bain and Company1, 8 out of 10 Southeast Asians viewed technology as being very helpful during the pandemic, and has now become an indispensable part of people’s daily lives.
Despite restricted mobility, eCommerce maintained uninterrupted access to necessities, such as groceries, health and education, and cashless solutions such as eWallets made transactions more accessible to all populations. Consumers and SMEs have adopted Digital Financial Services like never before, and behavioral changes are here to stay and will boost adoption and penetration, said the report.
SEA continues to benefit from robust population growth across demographic groups where two thirds of consumption will come from increased per capita spending (due to sharply rising incomes), and the remaining one-third from population growth2 predicted to reach 717 million by 2030.
Fast facts about Southeast Asia's booming eCommerce market
- Every month, 360 million Southeast Aisans visit major eCommerce shopping channels, such as Lazada and Shopee.
- eCommerce is predicted to grow by 5.5 per cent in 2021 spurred by Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines and Vietnam.
- SEA is the third largest eCommerce market globally after China and the US.
- Indonesia is the largest eCommerce industry booming at a 30 per cent increase annually.
- SEA is a leader in mobile-first internet connectivity with 90 per cent of the population adopting mCommerce as their preferred choice for eCommerce transactions.
- Consumers in SEA spend an average of 3.6 hours a day online.
- Beauty, personal care and clothing are the fastest moving sectors growing at 25 per cent a year.
- Southeast Asians aged between 18 and 44 years are the biggest spenders online.
- The SEA eCommerce market is predicted to grow by 300 per cent and be worth $300 billion by 2025.
Global Victoria is connected, on the ground and ready to support your export journey into the dynamic Southeast Asia region
Southeast Asia remains to be one of the most promising regions to explore new markets, and Victorian exporters looking for market diversification opportunities are encouraged connect with our Southeast Asia team to learn more.
- 1: e-conomy SEA Report: Temasek and Bain and Company - viewed 11 August 2021
- 2: Urban consumers to watch in Southeast Asia: McKinsey & Company- viewed 11 August 2021
WEBINAR: eCommerce in Vietnam
Missed attending our webinar? Global Victoria, through the Victorian eCommerce Network, hosted an in-depth webinar about eCommerce in Vietnam which included insights from the Vietnam Victorian Government Trade and Investment (VGTI) office and guest speakers from industry.
VIDEO: Victorian eCommerce Network: Webinar - eCommerce in Vietnam
For more information about the Vietnam Accelerator Program and our eCommerce Webinar, email Adrian Persiam, brands will work with in-market eCommerce experts to onboard onto at least one major eCommerce platform in Vietnam.
Eligibility for the eCommerce Program
Businesses wanting to be part of the eCommerce Program must meet the following criteria:
- Be a legally structured business registered in Victoria
- Have a current Australian Business Number (ABN)
For specific in-market eCommerce programs, companies must meet the following additional criteria which will be verified by the relevant Victorian Government Trade and Investment office in that market:
- Can show ability to get their product(s) into the respective export market and ready for distribution to buyers.
- Have the required approvals from the respective foreign government agencies to have their product(s) imported, particularly in the food and beverage categories.
- Have a product category that can be sold through eCommerce channels into foreign markets, such as cosmetic, beauty, nutraceuticals, food and beverage.
Further eligibility requirements may apply for specific eCommerce initiatives and will be outlined as soon as more details are announced.
Register to take part in Global Victoria's eCommerce initiatives
To participate in Global Victoria’s eCommerce Accelerator Program, and to find out if you meet the eligibility criteria, connect with a Global Victoria representative by sending an email to email@example.com.
Other initiatives to help your business go global
offers a range of dedicated support and resources to help businesses succeed on their export journey.
- Explore our upcoming Virtual Trade Missions (VTMs) helping to connect Victorian businesses to global opportunities.
- Discover our Global Gateway program which offers eligible businesses access to a grant of up to $50,000 to engage professional service providers for activities including market intelligence, market access and marketing and promotion.
- Try our free, online export readiness self-assessment, Go Global to help your business achieve its goals by identifying gaps in capabilities and recommending the next steps in your export journey to help bridge those gaps.
- Register for our Export Skills Program provides online training and seminars as well as local and international workshops and briefings on specialist and topical themes essential for international trading success.
- Visit our regional insights page to read current market updates and watch our in-country insights video series delivered from the team across our global network of 23 VGTIs, highlighting export opportunities across a range of sectors.
- Join our Victorian eCommerce Network (VeN) to connect, collaborate and share knowledge with other like-minded businesses interested in taking advantage of global eCommerce opportunities.
- Subscribe to our quarterly newsletter, Globally Connected and stay informed about upcoming opportunities in eCommerce.