Global Gateway Program
The Global Gateway program will support established Victorian exporters to help them stabilise their business and adapt their export strategies in response to the challenges created by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The Global Gateway program is a key part of the Victorian Government’s $15.7 million Export Recovery Package.
Eligible Victorian businesses can apply for a one-off grant of up to $50,000 to identify and engage professional service providers to deliver project activities to support their export recovery. These activities may include marketing and promotion, market access and marketing intelligence. Businesses must make a minimum co-contribution of 20 per cent of the project.
Grant applications are now open and will close at 11.59 pm on Sunday 17 January 2021.
Please read carefully the information on this page including the program Guidelines and frequently asked questions.
- Read the program Guidelines PDF, 1.0 MB
- Read an accessible version of the program Guidelines
- Read an accessible version of the frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- Download and read the Global Gateway Grant Agreement template - accessible DOCX, 152.3 KB
What support is available?
Eligible businesses can access a one-off grant of up to $50,000 (ex. GST) to engage professional service providers for project activities including market intelligence, market access and marketing and promotion.
Applicants must co-contribute a minimum of 20 per cent of the total costs of the project. For example:
- if the total project cost is $40,000 (ex. GST), the grant will cover $32,000 (ex. GST). The remaining $8,000 (ex. GST) must be covered by the business
- if the total project cost is $62,500 (ex. GST), the grant will cover $50,000 (ex. GST). The remaining $12,500 (ex. GST) must be covered by the business
- if the total project cost is $100,000 (ex. GST), the grant amount will cover $50,000 (ex. GST). The remaining $50,000 (ex. GST) must be covered by the business.
Who is eligible to apply?
Businesses wishing to apply for support through the Global Gateway program must meet the following criteria:
- Be a legally structured business with significant operations in Victoria.
- Have an Australian Business Number (ABN).
- Demonstrate an annual export revenue of at least $2 million in either the 2018/19 or 2019/20 financial years.
- Meet all industrial relations obligations as an employer in accordance with the National Employment Standards.
The following are not eligible to apply for the program:
- Commonwealth, state and local government agencies or bodies.
- Industry associations and business chambers.
What do I need to do for the application?
Businesses need to propose a project plan that will help them stabilise and maintain their existing export base, and adapt their business model for recovery.
When making an application, businesses will need to outline how their project meets the Global Gateway Program’s objectives, and show how grant funds will be used to achieve the project’s outcomes.
Applicants must provide:
- accurate business details
- a project plan
- any relevant quotes or scopes of services for preferred service provider(s).
What do I need to include in the project plan?
As part of the application process for this program, businesses are required to submit a project plan. The plan must include:
- a project description
- preferred service provider(s)
- a brief implementation timeline
- internal resources allocated to the project
- a budget summary (showing where grant funds are to be spent on eligible expenditure).
Businesses interested in applying and discussing a proposed project, should email firstname.lastname@example.org to be connected with a Global Victoria representative familiar with their market of interest.
How do I apply?
- Review the program Guidelines that detail the eligibility and assessment criteria
- Read the frequently asked questions
The Global Gateway program is open for applications until 11.59 pm on 17 January 2021.
Each applicant will be notified of the outcome of their application via email, and successful applicants will receive a letter of offer.
Successful applicants must enter into a grant agreement with the Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions (DJPR) outlining the commitments and obligations under the grant, as well as the general funding terms and conditions.
If you’re still unsure about your eligibility or need further details about the program, contact the Business Victoria Hotline on 13 22 15 to be put in touch with a Global Victoria representative.
Ready to discuss your project?
Eligible businesses interested in applying and discussing a proposed project can get in touch by emailing email@example.com.
Other Global Victoria programs and initiatives
In addition to the Global Gateway program, Global Victoria offers a range of dedicated support and resources to help you succeed on your export journey.
- Whether you’re looking at entering new markets or diversifying, Go Global can help your business achieve its goals by identifying gaps in capabilities and recommending the next steps for your export journey.
- The Export Skills Program provides online training and seminars as well as local and international workshops and briefings on specialist and topical themes essential for international trading success.
- Visit our regional insights page to read current market updates, and watch our in-country insights video series from our global network of Victorian Government Trade and Investment (VGTI) offices, highlighting export opportunities across a range of sectors.
- The Victorian eCommerce Network (VeN) offers Victorian businesses an opportunity to connect, collaborate and share knowledge with other like-minded businesses interested in taking advantage of global eCommerce opportunities.
- Explore our upcoming virtual trade missions which play an important role in supporting your business expand its global possibilities with international markets.
- Subscribe to our quarterly newsletter, Globally Connected.