SXSW: Austin Texas USA March 2020
Register your interestApplications have now closed for this trade mission. Register with us and keep up to date for any future trade missions, or propose your own.
Why the USA?
The United States of America is the world’s largest economy. Its GDP is around US$18 trillion and increased by 2 per cent in the second and third quarters of 2019.
USA's population is 323 million.
The Australia-United States Free Trade Agreement, enacted in 2005 makes the USA a high priority market for Victorian technology businesses.
In 2018-19, major Victorian exports to the US included aerospace and automotive products (A$597.1m), beef (A$612.5m) meat excl beef (A$388.7m) and pharmaceuticals (A$1.14b).
Business opportunities in the USA
- Advanced manufacturing materials
- Digital technology
- Renewable energy
- Aviation and aerospace
- Resources and energy
The attendees of SXSW are young, influential, international and ready to do business:
- 72 per cent are between 21-44
- 92 per cent make or influence major decisions at their workplace
- 25 per cent of attendees are from outside the USA
- 59 per cent list finding new business as their number 1 attendance goal
- 70,000 attended in 2019
Why should you attend?
The mission will:
- enable delegates to build market insights
- explore market opportunities
- expand their networks
- identify potential partners and clients.
The mission will include a program of business development activities including business networking opportunities and attendance at the SXSW Interactive conference, which attracts technology innovators and thought leaders from around the world.
The mission will be intimate, accepting a maximum of 15 Victorian companies.
What types of businesses should apply?
Applications are sought from Victorian technology companies that have clear goals for attending SXSW. The mission will prioritise scaleups, i.e. companies:
- who have been operating for at least 3 years
- whose business is growing at 20 per cent or more in either employment or turnover year on year for at least two years
- who employ at least 10 full-time employees.
- Pre-mission preparation to arm delegates with the tools to pitch their products and services confidently in an international marketplace, in a variety of business situations
- Promotion in the Victorian Government mission’s marketing materials and through social media channels
- Pre-mission briefing held in Melbourne prior to the commencement of the mission.
During the mission
- On-ground assistance from the Victorian Government
- In market briefing and welcome dinner
- Business networking events hosted by the Victorian Government with key industry players
- Attendance at SXSW Interactive conference stream.
- Post-mission briefing with delegates
- Assistance with follow-ups
- Continuing contact with Victorian Government Trade and Investment Offices in the USA.
What's not included?
The Victorian Government will not pay for airfares, accommodation, ground transport or meals outside of official activities.
Mission dates: 12 to 18 March 2020
Location: Austin, Texas USA
SXSW Conference: 13 to 22 March 2020
We encourage you to review the program for SXSW 2020 to determine if you want to extend your stay in the US beyond the official trade mission dates.
Applications open: 11 December 2019
Applications close: 17 January 2020
Applications have now closed
Want to know more?
To find out more and for further information about this trade mission, contact our trade specialist for ICT and technology Amelia King by sending her an email