Sports and Sports Technology: China May 2019
Global Victoria, on behalf of the Victorian Government, will deliver a sports and sports technology trade mission to China from 27 May to 2 June 2019.
The mission will explore the vast opportunities for Australian sport in China’s booming sports market, which is expected to reach RMB5 trillion (A$968 billion) in value by 2025.
Why should you attend?
China’s sports market growth is driven by the Chinese Government's strong commitment on growing its sports industry, including the implementation of Government’s 13th Five-Year Sports Development Plan which recommends:
- building new sports infrastructure (the Plan sets the following targets: 70,000 soccer pitches, 15,000 fitness facilities, 10,000 multi-functional playing grounds)
- attracting more major sporting events and growing its sports tourism sector
- improving its capabilities in sports administration, sports coaching, sports management, sports medicine, sports science (the Plan sets a target of 20,000 soccer academies by 2020)
- developing innovative sports technologies and sports events
- encouraging foreign exchanges to increase international cooperation, technology transfer, and foreign investment
- progressing its sports IP legal framework.
China has a growing sports media and entertainment industry, and a potential to be the world’s largest sports technology ecosystem driven by sports entrepreneurship and measured by the number of high-quality “startups and scale-ups” achieving global critical mass.
The China sports and sports technology trade mission will enable Victorian organisations to:
- explore China as a market for sports-related exports
- consolidate existing relationships
- forge stronger business connections into one of the world’s largest economies.
Our program of activities will include business matching meetings and leverage key events in Shanghai such as the Austcham Sports Summit on Thursday 30 May, and the AFL game between St Kilda and Port Adelaide Football Clubs on Sunday 2 June.
What types of businesses should attend?
Expressions of Interest are sought from major sporting organisations, sports technology, business of sport organisations and universities in areas such as:
- major sporting codes
- sports marketing companies
- sports infrastructure (facility construction and management)
- sports tourism and major sports event management
- sports administration, education and high-performance coaching and sports academies
- player exchanges
- sponsorship attraction and broadcasting
- innovative sports technologies, sports medicine and sports science.
- A conference call to discuss your business needs in the market
- Promotion in the Victorian Government mission’s marketing materials and through social media channels.
- Pre-mission briefing focusing on China’s Sports sector overview and its opportunities
On the mission
- Group transportation to and from offsite business meetings within your program
- On-ground assistance from the Victorian Government
- Austcham Sports Summit (Thursday 30 May)
- Business Forum (Friday 31 May)
- AFL gala dinner (Saturday 1 June)
- AFL game (Sunday 2 June)
- Business matching program
- Post-mission briefing with delegates
- Assistance with follow-ups
- An evaluation form will be distributed to all participants to receive your valuable feedback
What's not included?
The Victorian Government will not pay for delegates airfares, accommodation, ground transport or meals outside of official activities.
Eligibility, terms and conditions
Applications will be subject to an approval process and participation will be at the discretion of the Department of Jobs, Precincts and Resources (DJPR).
Read the terms and conditions for participation in the Victorian Government's trade mission program.
Mission dates: Monday 27 May to Sunday 2 June 2019
Location: Beijing & Shanghai, China
Pre-mission briefing: April 2019
Applications: close 8 April 2019
Want to know more?
For further information or any enquiries about this trade mission, please call Maria Chirikina on 0436 613 063, or send her an email