Sports Technology and Innovation: Japan October 2019
The Victorian Government, through Global Victoria and supported by Vumero, invites Victorian sports technology and innovation companies to join them on a sports technology focused trade mission to Tokyo from 8 to 11 October 2019.
Japan is the fourth-largest consumer market in the world by household consumption expenditure after the United States, European Union and China.
In the Japan Revitalization Strategy 2016, the Japanese Government presented 10 new economic projects to revive the economy. One of the sectors identified was Sports Business presenting a major opportunity for sports technology solutions and services.
The Japan Sports Agency (JSA), a division of Japan’s Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), has been set specific targets to expand Japan’s sports business industry.
The Japanese Government is aiming to increase the domestic sports business industry from JPY5.5 trillion (A$70 billion) in 2016, to JPY10 trillion (A$130 billion) in 2020, and JPY20 trillion (A$190 billion) in 2025. These goals have created opportunities for Victorian exporters to form business relationships with Japanese companies in the Sports Business sector.
Victoria and Japan have a long standing, multifaceted relationship covering trade and investment, research collaboration as well as strong people to people and cultural ties.
Our trade mission aims to strengthen existing business relationships and foster new trade development opportunities for Victorian businesses in sports technology and innovation. We've timed the mission to leverage the upcoming large-scale international sporting events, which include:
- Rugby World Cup 2019
- 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics Games
- Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix 2019
- 2021 Masters’ Games
Increased investment appetite for private-sector firms in Japan is also anticipated in the wake of the 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games.
The Japanese Government will take advantage of the spotlight on sports that the 2020 Olympic games and Paralympic Games will create and intends to revitalise Japan’s sports business industry from 2020 onwards with a view to growing this sector into one of Japan’s core industries.
This renewed focus on supporting the sports business industry will open the door for innovative Victorian companies to engage with new partners in the Japanese market.
What types of businesses should attend?
The Japanese market represents a major economic growth opportunity for Victorian companies with solutions and services that include, but are not limited to:
- sporting goods
- sports infrastructure
- sports administration and management
- sports tourism and major sports event management
- sponsorship attraction and broadcasting
- innovative technologies in sports participation, medicine and science
- major sporting codes
Why should you attend?
Trade mission delegates will have access to key industry stakeholders from government, sporting organisations, sports federations, sports businesses and sports media groups. They'll also gain valuable exposure to Japan’s sports market.
The program of activities being organised by us includes:
- business matching meetings
- networking opportunities
- attendance at the world's largest Sports Digital and Sports Technology Conference to be held in Tokyo on 10 October 2019.
Participating in the mission will also give delegates opportunities to share their expertise and explore potential collaborations with other Victorian sports technology and innovation businesses who are on the same journey.
- A conference call to discuss your expectations from the mission and business objectives in the market
- Profiling in the mission marketing materials
- Pre-mission briefing held in Melbourne prior to the official start of the mission
- Transportation to and from offsite business meetings within your program
- On-ground assistance from the Victorian Government
- Tailored business program
- Attendance and promotion opportunities at Tokyo's Sports Technology Conference
- Post-mission briefing with delegates
- Assistance with follow-ups
Note that tickets to major events will be subject to availability.
What's not included?
The Victorian Government will not pay for delegates airfares, accommodation, ground transport and meals outside of official activities.
Mission dates: Tuesday 8 October to Friday 11 October 2019
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Pre-mission briefing: details to be released soon
Applications: close 18 September 2019
For enquiries or to find out more about the trade mission, contact our Trade Officer for Technology and Services, Maria Chirikina by sending her an email