Announced on 8 Oct 2018, just short of one month before the launch of the the inaugural China International Import Expo (CIIE), a West Hongqiao (CIIE) People’s Court has been established dedicated to the Expo to try cases involving foreign-related commercial affairs, reports Yicai.
The establishment of the court came after multiple implementation measures being launched in accordance with ‘Several opinions of Shanghai High People’s Court on services and guarantees for the China International Import Expo’ issued in June 2018.
The court will deal with four types of cases under the jurisdiction of Shanghai Qingpu People's Court including
- civil and commercial cases concerning the CIIE
- civil and commercial cases concerning the conference and exhibition industry
- civil and commercial cases concerning the expo venue
- commercial cases concerning foreign affairs
The court will establish
- an expert jury made up of experts in international trade and the conference and exhibition industry
- a professional mediation mechanism – four professional mediation institutions, including the Shanghai Mediation Centre of the China Council for the Promotion of International Trade, and the Shanghai Commercial Mediation Centre have been contracted
The litigation service centre for the CIIE is located within the premise of the National Exhibition and Convention Centre (NECC) and will be able to serve and support the CIIE conveniently and comprehensively, says Lin Xiaonie 林晓镍 Shanghai Qingpu People's Court president.
The report also mentions that multiple diverse CIIE-related dispute settlement mechanisms are being developed.