Victoria is located in a prime strategic position for supplying grains to emerging economies in Asia. Grain production also underpins food processing such as milling, malting and brewing and Victoria’s extensive animal feed industry. Recent free trade agreements and relationship building with Japan, South Korea and China are further promoting Victoria’s grain export potential.
A temperate climate, exceptionally productive soil, and some of the world's cleanest water are key features that provide Victoria with a global reputation as producers of high quality, premium grains.
The extensive size and maturity of Victoria’s food industry enables it to produce high value, high quality grain products. Victoria has a reputation for clean and green food products. Its institutional frameworks for food safety and regulation, and its unique quality and classification systems ensure the production of high quality, high protein grains.
Supported by cutting-edge research
Victoria is a world leader in grains research and innovation. Major Victorian facilities such as the Centre for AgriBioscience, the Australian Grains Genebank and the Grains Innovation Park underpin our global reputation, and commitment to innovation in grains.
Victoria is expanding its competitive advantages in grains through investment in strategic areas such as information and communication technology, plant phenomics, drought tolerance, and cropping in high rainfall zones
A range of world-class research sectors working collaboratively with highly skilled and environmentally responsible Victorian farmers ensures the continued uptake of new technology to support Victoria's future grains production.
Victorian farmers grow a range of highly regarded crops including barley, canola, pulses (including lentils, chickpeas, fava beans, field peas, broad beans and lupins) and oats.
- In 2017-18, Victorian grain exports were valued at $1.5 billion
- China was the largest market for grain exports in 2017-18, followed by Indonesia and Vietnam
- Around 70 per cent of Victoria's annual grain output is exported
Discover how your business can import from Victoria
- Our network of Victorian Government Trade and Investment (VGTI) offices are located around the globe, providing tailored market intelligence, insights and guidance for your importing business. VGTI can also connect you with key Victorian exporters and industry partners.
- Visit the Victorian Government's Invest in Victorian Agriculture website to explore the competitive advantages of Victoria's diverse regions.
- Austrade provides information about investing in Australia's food and fibre industry, including detailed information on food safety.
- Agriculture Victoria, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and Food Innovation Australia provide useful information and helpful advice about Australia's food and fibre sector
- Download and read the Victorian Government's August 2018 report on Victoria's grain industries
- Download and read the Victorian Government's September 2018 Food and Fibre Export Performance Report