Victoria is Australia’s major exporter of horticultural products and is recognised internationally for producing some of the world's cleanest, greenest and premium food products – supported by complete traceability of our production and supply chain.
Our agribusiness sector is diverse and covers a wide geographical spread and product range. Fresh and dried fruit are the highest value export category, and almonds are Victoria’s single most valuable horticultural export.
Melbourne’s world-class port and transport infrastructure allows efficient export to international customers. Consumers around the world enjoy Victorian fresh produce, in particular premium produce such as table grapes, citrus, summer-fruit, cherries, olives, almonds, apples and pears.
There is also potential for significant growth in the export of fresh products to Asian markets.
Supported by a skilled workforce
Victoria has a number of world-class universities teaching specialised courses, educating and upskilling the workforce on advanced horticultural production.
Victoria’s innovative agriculture and food industries are constantly generating new opportunities, such as medicinal cannabis, native herbs, truffles, and ready-to-cook meals.
- Horticulture exports from Victoria Exports increased by 38 per cent to be valued at $1.6
billion in 2018-19.
- China was the major market for Victorian horticultural exports in 2018-19 increasing by 133 per cent and accounting for 36 per cent of the
total value of horticulture exports.
- Victoria exported 91 per cent of Australia’s table grapes in 2018-19.
- In the year ending June 2019, more than 104,000 tonnes of fresh citrus was exported with a value of $162 million.
- India was the second largest horticulture export market for Victoria (A$142 million), followed by Japan (A$88 million) in 2017-18.
Discover how we can help your business go global
Victorian Government Trade and Investment Offices
Our international network of Victorian Government Trade and Investment (VGTI) offices can provide tailored market intelligence, insights and guidance for your export business . They can also connect you with overseas industry partners. Contact us to learn more about how our team of trade specialists can help your business go global.
Programs and initiatives
We offer a range of programs and initiatives to build and strengthen your export capabilities and help expand your business.
Interested in targeting new global markets? Our successful trade mission programs play an important role in supporting your business to expand its export potential. Visit our trade missions page to find out more.
Want to know more?
- Download and read the Victorian 2018 Food and Fibre Export Performance Report
- Download and read an accessible version of the Victorian 2018 Food and Fibre Export Performance Report
The Australian Food and Agribusiness Directory
Food and Innovation Australia (FIAL), the Australian Institute of Food Science and Technology (AIFST) and the Australian Institute of Packaging (AIP), in collaboration with Data61 have created an easy-to-use searchable map of Australia that will help you connect with other stakeholders from across the entire industry value chain.