Victoria’s food and fibre sector is one of our most internationally competitive industries. We’re Australia's largest producer of food and fibre products and account for an estimated 5.9 per cent of Gross State Product (GSP) and over a quarter of Australia's food and fibre exports.
Our global reputation as exporters and suppliers of some of the world's cleanest, greenest and safe food and fibre products is built on the highest quality biosecurity, safety and reliability standards, and strong environmental protection.
World-class research and development facilities provide the state’s agribusinesses with key opportunities to be early adopters of cutting-edge technologies especially in the areas of water management, food manufacturing and packaging.
Home to Australia's largest curfew-free airport and container port, Melbourne offers a world-class freight and logistics infrastructure. And with long-standing trade relationships and shared time zones with Asia, proximity continues to play a key role in supporting Victoria's competitive advantage in supply chain management.
Taste Victoria - the state's food and fibre roadmap
The Victorian Government works to help promote growth of the food industry.
The recently announced Taste Victoria Initiative and its two programs Taste Victoria and Growing Food and Fibre Markets program, the delivery of Global Table and attendance at international trade shows such as Gulfood in Dubai and FoodEx in Japan, assists local producers to capture new export market opportunities.
Regarded as the Victorian Government's roadmap for growing and investing in the state's food and fibre exports, Taste Victoria is comprised of two initiatives aimed at supporting delivery on our export target markets, managing risk and growing the state’s global market share.
1. Global Table
Global Table is dynamic new business event that connects global industry leaders, innovators, corporates and governments who are committed to transforming the food industry through innovation, investment and trade. The first-ever Global Table event will take place in Melbourne in September 2019.
2. Growing Food and Fibre Markets
Growing Food and Fibre Markets is delivering targeted market access activities to strategically reposition Victoria's agriculture, food and fibre sector to capture market opportunities. Partnering with industry, the Victorian Government is working to boost trade by continuously demonstrating the quality, safety and assurance systems for our food and fibre products.
- growing export market intelligence
- broadening traceability
- keeping ahead of the game with market access
- enabling use of next generation market access technology
The 2018-19 Victorian Food and Fibre Export Report
Victorian food and fibre exports reached a new high in 2018-19 – showing that despite difficult seasonal and market conditions, Victoria’s agriculture sector continues to go from strength to strength.
Launched in December 2019, the 2018-19 Victorian Food and Fibre Export Report demonstrates Victoria’s agriculture sector increased by $98 million on the previous year.
- Download and read the 2018-19 Victorian Food and Fibre Export Report
PDF, 9.8 MB
- View the 2018-2019 Victorian Food and Fibre Export Performance Ingographic
PDF, 56.8 KB
VIDEO: Taste Victoria
- Victoria accounts for nearly 30 per cent of Australia's food and fibre manufacturing, and food and fibre exports.
- In 2018-19, the total exports for food and fibre was valued at A$14.2 billion.
- Victoria is home to more than 40 food research centres.
- Victoria exports the most dairy (77 per cent), fruit (60 per cent), nuts (51 per cent) and prepared foods (32 per cent) compared to any other state in Australia.
- In 2018-19, Victoria exported 166 million litres of wine, worth A$404 million.
- Victoria is the highest value exporting state for:
- dairy (77 per cent)
- animal fibre (52 per cent)
- prepared foods (32 per cent)
- horticulture (50 per cent)
- skins and hides (50 per cent)
Discover how we can help your business go global
Victorian Government Trade and Investment Offices
Our international network of Victorian Government Trade and Investment (VGTI) offices can provide tailored market intelligence, insights and guidance for your export business . They can also connect you with overseas industry partners. Contact us to learn more about how our team of trade specialists can help your business go global.
Programs and initiatives
We offer a range of programs and initiatives to build and strengthen your export capabilities and help expand your business.
Interested in targeting new global markets? Our successful trade mission programs play an important role in supporting your business to expand its export potential. Visit our trade missions page to find out more.
Want to know more?
- Download and read the Victorian 2018 Food and Fibre Export Performance Report
- Download and read an accessible version of the Victorian 2018 Food and Fibre Export Performance Report
The Australian Food and Agribusiness Directory
Food and Innovation Australia (FIAL), the Australian Institute of Food Science and Technology (AIFST) and the Australian Institute of Packaging (AIP), in collaboration with Data61 have created an easy-to-use searchable map of Australia that will help you connect with other stakeholders from across the entire industry value chain.