Melbourne is a global leader and innovator in research and development – a key driver for Victoria's continued dominance in the Australian prepared food sector. High food safety and biosecurity standards, and diverse regions contribute to our strong international reputation for safe, premium quality foods.
Victoria’s processed meat is quality assured and safe, and supervised by PrimeSafe and the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service.
Export opportunities for Victorian prepared food businesses
The increasing number and wealth of the world’s middle class – and changing lifestyles – means consumers are increasingly seeking prepared meals. The quality and respect for Victoria’s raw materials means the state is ideally placed for investment in high-value food processing.
Opportunities lie in:
- air freighted export of fresh, readymade meals to Asian markets
- new sales channels, including eCommerce platforms in China and other markets
- businesses developing new innovative products and packaging to help differentiate themselves in global markets
- Victoria is Australia's major food processor, producing around 30 per cent of Australia's prepared foods.
- In 2017-18, prepared foods were valued at A$1.7 billion - and increase of A$229 million (15 per cent) on 2016-17.
- China was the highest value market for prepared foods valued at A$662 million, followed by New Zealand (A$254 million), and Hong Kong (A$204 million).
Discover how we can help your business go global
Victorian Government Trade and Investment offices
Our international network of Victorian Government Trade and Investment (VGTI) offices can provide tailored market intelligence, insights and guidance for your export business. They can also connect you with overseas industry partners. Contact us to learn more about how our team of trade specialists can help your business go global.
Programs and initiatives
We offer a range of programs and initiatives to build and strengthen your export capabilities and help expand your business.
Interested in targeting new global markets? Our successful trade mission programs play an important role in supporting your business to expand its export potential. Visit our trade missions page to find out more.
Want to know more?
The Australian Food and Agribusiness Directory
Food and Innovation Australia (FIAL), the Australian Institute of Food Science and Technology (AIFST) and the Australian Institute of Packaging (AIP), in collaboration with Data61 have created an easy-to-use searchable map of Australia that will help you connect with other stakeholders from across the entire industry value chain.