Victoria has been exporting world-class wines for more than 150 years and is the third largest wine producing state in Australia. Our multi award-winning winemakers offer the international market a range of varietals in every conceivable style and price, and for every palate.
Spread across 21 wine regions, Victoria's unique climates and geographical features – ranging from cool rolling highlands, to temperate river lands, and fresh ocean climates – create wines as distinct as the wineries that produce them.
Key features – such as improved market access to export destinations, some of the world's best research and development facilities, and strong biosecurity protection – continue to support Victoria's thriving wine industry.
Wine varietals include riesling, chardonnay, pinot noir, shiraz cabernet, merlot and sparkling wines.
- Wine exports from Victoria were valued at $363 million in 2017-18, an increase of $73 million from 2016-17
- Red wine exports remained the strongest performer, accounting for 79 per cent of wine exports from Victoria
- China and the United Kingdom were Victoria’s largest markets for wine exports valued at $167 million and $50 million respectively.
Want to know more?
Discover how your business can import from Victoria
- Our network of Victorian Government Trade and Investment (VGTI) offices are located around the globe, providing tailored market intelligence, insights and guidance for your importing business. VGTI can also connect you with key Victorian exporters and industry partners.
- Visit the Victorian Government's Invest in Victorian Agriculture website to explore the competitive advantages of Victoria's diverse regions.
- Austrade provides information about investing in Australia's food and fibre industry, including detailed information on food safety.
- Agriculture Victoria, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and Food Innovation Australia provide useful information and helpful advice about Australia's food and fibre sector.
- Download and read the Victorian Government's August 2018 report on Victoria's wine industry
- Download and read the Victorian Government's September 2018 Food and Fibre Export Performance Report