Victoria has an exciting and diverse range of education technology (EdTech) companies excelling in global education solutions. Victoria’s strengths as a home to world class education institutions and a major innovation and digital technology hub underpin a thriving EdTech ecosystem which is expanding to meet the needs of domestic and international markets.
There are exciting and rapidly emerging opportunities for Victorian EdTech companies to support education outcomes in global markets and, likewise, there are increasing opportunities for international partners to work with, collaborate and invest in Victoria’s vibrant EdTech sector.
Victoria’s global EdTech capabilities
Victoria’s global EdTech capabilities are centred on education leadership, enhanced capabilities to deliver EdTech solutions, and a strong reputation in the international education sector.
With strong support from the Victorian Government to make the state a global leader in education services and EdTech, Victoria is uniquely placed to support learners around the world.
Global Victoria EdTech Innovation Alliance boosts export potential for Victorian EdTech innovation
In partnership with EduGrowth, Global Victoria is delivering the Global Victoria EdTech Innovation Alliance, awarding $800,000 in major research grants to nine Victorian EdTech companies and their project partners.
The Global Victoria EdTech Innovation Alliance supports partnerships between Victorian EdTech companies, education institutions, and international organisations, and enables cooperation to trial technologies that solve and enhance learning outcomes.
The program will see the activation of testbeds or pilots, by running efficacy trials of Victorian EdTech products in Australian and international education settings, in a structured formal framework, and share the findings with the broader community.
Opportunities to go global are growing
Global investment in EdTech has increased from $500m in 2010 to $7bn in 2019, with predicted expenditure of $341bn on EdTech in 20251.
As population growth and rapidly changing skill needs drive demand for innovation in education services, the global EdTech market will continue to expand.
Amid global demand for micro-credentials, industry-specific courses and shorter and more flexible programs, it will become increasingly important for the education sector to ensure learners are well equipped for the needs of the future.
1 EduGrowth/Deloitte 2020, The Australian EdTech Market Census 2019.
The benefits of EdTech
EdTech companies apply innovative technology across the education journey: from student recruitment and learning management systems, to testing and assessments and credentialing.
Learners, employers and education providers can benefit from EdTech, including through:
- supporting and improving learning outcomes for students
- increasing student engagement and retention
- enabling assessment solutions at scale
- improving efficiency in administrative functions and reduce costs
- facilitating lifelong learning.
EdTech drives growth for education institutions and economies and provides opportunities to facilitate partnerships in existing and new markets.
Education Innovation: Victoria’s EdTech Value Proposition
Victoria is a major innovation and digital technology hub and has a thriving EdTech ecosystem that is expanding to meet the needs of domestic and international markets. Victoria’s education leadership, enhanced capabilities to deliver EdTech solutions, and strong reputation as the Education State ensure it is uniquely placed to support learners around Australia and the world.
VIDEO: Education Innovation: Victoria's EdTech Value Proposition
Want to learn more?
- Victoria's EdTech Value Proposition presents Victoria’s EdTech capabilities and profiles case studies of select Victorian EdTech companies.
- Our global education network is located in nine key Victorian Government Trade and Investment (VGTI) offices around the globe. Education Services Managers (ESMs) PDF, 348.1 KB provide on-the-ground support to Victorian education and training institutions and EdTech companies interested in accessing new opportunities and growing their overseas business development activities. ESMs can also assist international governments, education institutions and EdTech companies looking for opportunities in Victoria.
- Visit our international education market insights page for seasonal updates, including EdTech opportunities, from our ESMs.
- Learn why Victoria is an investment destination of choice and explore our strengths in tech and innovation.
- Find out about EdTech news and developments from the national body for EdTech, EduGrowth.