Melbourne’s research excellence
The Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) is a major initiative of the Australian Research Council – funded by the Australian Government – to capture research excellence across the disciplines.
Australian universities are evaluated by the ERA on the quality of their research being undertaken, and uses national and international benchmarks, with the submissions evaluated by 150 Research Evaluation Committee members and 1000 peer reviewers from Australia and abroad.
Ratings are based on a variety of indicators relevant to different disciplinary areas, including citation profiles and peer reviews, and the information is submitted by universities and covers all eligible researchers and their research outputs.
Video: Melbourne's R&D capabilities
Delivering above world standard results
In 2018, at a national scale there were:
- 506,294 publications or other research outputs
- Over 76,000 researchers and related staff
- A$10.9 billion of external research income
- 1282 patents
- 109 discipline areas rated as 'well above world standard'
- a large number of disciplines that rated 'above world standard' at multiple institutions in areas such as;
- biomedical engineering
- condensed matter physics
- human movement and sports science
- astronomical and space sciences.
Victoria's Research Excellence ERA Case Studies
The Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) case studies provides an overview of Victoria's research strengths by discipline and university, and profiles case studies of 'above world standard' by Victorian universities.
Want to learn more?
- Victoria's EdTech Value Proposition presents Victoria’s EdTech capabilities and profiles case studies of select Victorian EdTech companies.
- Our Global Education Network is supported by 14 education representatives based in key offshore markets. Our representatives provide on-the-ground support to Victorian education and training institutions interested in accessing new opportunities and growing their overseas business development activities. Our network can also assist international governments and education institutions looking for opportunities in Victoria.
- Visit our international education market insights page for the latest market updates.
- Learn why Victoria is an investment destination of choice and explore our strengths in tech and innovation.
- Find out about EdTech news and developments from the national body for EdTech, EduGrowth.