Architecture, planning and urban design
Melbourne is at the forefront of Australia's built environment industry and is home to several global firms, award-winning designers and an abundance of architectural talent.
For six consecutive years since 2010, Melbourne has been voted by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) as the world's most liveable city.
Achieving a perfect score for infrastructure is proof of our world leading capabilities in architecture, planning and urban design, and the value Victorian businesses have to offer globally.
Victoria's architecture and design industry has benefited from a rise in building activity and positive building confidence over the last three years to 2015-16.
- Victoria is home to 908 registered architecture firms, collectively employing 3645 architects and representing over 30 per cent of Australia's total number of registered architects.
- According to the annual survey by British Design magazine, the largest Australian architectural firm is Victorian based Woods Bagot – ranked seventh internationally – which has 17 studios located across Australia, Asia the Middle East, Europe and North America.
Video: Exporting design capabilities
Video: Melbourne - Designing the world's most liveable city
Video: LAB architecture studio - export advice
Discover how your business can import from Victoria
- Our network of Victorian Government Trade and Investment (VGTI) offices are located around the globe and provide tailored market intelligence, insights and guidance for your import business and investment in Victoria. VGTI can also connect you with Victorian exporters and industry partners.
- Austrade provides information on investing in the professional services industry in Australia.
- The Export Council of Australia provides up-to-date information and the latest research on trade policy.