Melbourne is recognised and celebrated as Australia's fashion and retail capital offering consumers a diverse range of premium products and exciting retail environments.
Key features such as our strong economy and the inner-city precinct's rapidly rising population have established the city of Melbourne as Australia's largest concentration of retailers.
Melbourne city's luxury, international and national retail brands are spread across large multi-level centres, boutique laneways, historic arcades, and at the luxury end of Collins St.
Our world-class department stores, flagship stores and local fashion retailers are located throughout Melbourne's diverse shopping destinations, including one of the largest shopping centres in the Southern Hemisphere.
Offering high-quality suburban shopping centres and dynamic retail strips, fashion giants such as Gap, H&M, Topshop, Uniqlo and Zara have opened 17 stores collectively across Melbourne's regional centres, and Victoria is the headquarters of Australia's largest retailers such as Coles, Kmart, Myer, 7-Eleven and David Jones.
Plans are underway for homeware and furniture juggernaut Ikea to build its biggest store in the southern hemisphere located in Melbourne's outer northern suburb of Campbellfield.
Victoria's thriving retail industry is underpinned by the skills and productivity of the 300,000 strong and flexible workforce professionals.
eCommerce is now a viable and safe alternative to bricks-and-mortar shopping making Victoria's premium products more accessible to consumers around the globe.
- Australia's retail sales growth has been among the highest of the OECD countries since 2009 and is now worth A$280 billion.
- In 2016 Victoria's retail sector turned over more than A$75 billion.
- Victoria's A$4.6 billion in online sales is over 23 per cent of Australia's total retail sales.
- Online revenue in Australia is forecast to increase to 9.3 per cent in the next five years.
Discover how your business can import from Victoria
- Our network of Victorian Government Trade and Investment (VGTI) offices are located around the globe and provide tailored market intelligence, insights and guidance for your import business, and investment in Victoria. VGTI can also connect you with Victorian exporters and industry partners.